When I run, I feel His pleasure.
I hate to exercise—even walking. Ugh. I walked enough as a child.
I really should watch that movie—Chariots of Fire—I tried once for about 5 minutes—it truly is time – especially now – because I want to put my own spin on that famous line.
Tom and I are in our fifth week of teaching a six week Sunday School class on Relationships and I must say it’s been pleasurable – that one hour on Sunday morning – the prep time is often agonizing − but there is this thing that seems to take over after about five minutes of speaking. It doesn’t happen immediately – but it comes – not always – but mostly – and it is indeed pleasurable.
A Christian hedonist – that is indeed what I’ve become.
So, of course it had me thinking of my own top ten “feeling God’s pleasure moments” – and after reflecting on the topic for two days now, here’s what I’ve come up with:
1. I feel His pleasure in the morning. Often I love to begin my God-Time with music. For some time now Adagio for Strings is the first thing I play (of course on my laptop, not the piano).
2. I feel His pleasure when my husband sings along with XM Radio’s Love Station – as we are somewhere on an interstate heading home.
3. I feel His pleasure at Brookstone Camp. There is nothing in Charlotte that is better for my soul than Brookstone School.
4. I feel His pleasure when I am reading a good, soul-warming novel by Francine Rivers (my favorites are Redeeming Love and Mark of the Lion). Weird how it can be pleasurable in some measure even while weeping uncontrollably.
5. I feel His pleasure when I am with my young, life group every week over lunch. They don’t even seem to mind when I “go to preaching.”
6. I feel His pleasure when I am talking to a woman about coming to seminary. Funny how the topic of seminary often gets neglected.
7. I feel His pleasure at my mom’s resort home in the mountains – with my mom – on the porch – looking at the creek – reflecting on His goodness. Or playing games around the kitchen table with family – or watching Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time.
8. I feel His pleasure at the Walk to Emmaus. It’s been over eight years since I’ve last participated in a “Walk” but I can still feel the pleasure of those sacred moments – that late night on the porch—in God’s presence—with my sacred moment friend Carolyn. Truly a moment that has lasted a life time in my soul.
9. I feel His pleasure when I share Him with others.
I close with this most pleasurable thought from Catherine of Genoa:
“If God provided so many delightful things for me, the Body, think of what he may have in store for you, the immortal Soul!”